Planes of Fame Airshow at Chino
Over seventy vintage airplanes were displayed at the Planes of Fame Airshow at Chino over the weekend of May 19, 20. It was two days of sensory overload and unduplicatable warbird experiences. Chino is the only show where they fly three Lockheed P-38 Lightnings and the only show with two Mitsubishi A6M Zeros.
Lockheed P-38F Lightning, NX17630 Glacier Girl was delivered to the Army Air Force as 41-7630. On July 15, 1942 it was part of a squadron of Lightnings that made forced landings on the Greenland ice cap. Over the years, 260 feet of ice accumulated above the airplane. It was recovered from under the ice by the Greenland Expedition Society in 1992. It was restored to airworthy condition at Middlesborough, Kantucky and registered as N5757. It made its first post restoration flight on October 26, 2002. Its registration was changed to N17630 on March 13, 2007.
Lockheed P-38F Lightning, NX17630 Glacier Girl
Lockheed P-38J Lightning, NX138AM 23 Skidoo is registered to the Air Museum at Chino. It was built as Army Air Corps 44-23314. It was acquired by the Hanfield School of Aeronautics in Santa Maria, California in 1950. Jack Hardwicke of El Monte, California registered it as N29Q in 1954. He sold it to the Air Museum in Ontario, California in 1960 where it sat on static display for seventeen years. It was restored to flying condition, making its first flight on July 22, 1988. It then went to the Planes of Fame East museum in Minnesota. Bob Pond purchased it in October 1989 and registered it as N38BP.It returned to the Air Museum at Chino in 1998. It is powered by a pair of Allison V-1710 twelve-cylinder engines.
Lockheed P-38J Lightning, NX138AM 23 Skidoo
Lockheed P-38L Lightning, NL7723C was delivered to the Army Air Force as photo-reconnaissance F-5G 44-26981. Its construction number is 7985. Aero Exploration Company Incorporated of Tulsa, Oklahoma acquired it from the War Assets Administration at Kingman, Arizona for $1,250 on March 22, 1946. It was registered as NX53752 on May 10, 1946 and then as N53752 in 1948. It was withdrawn from service in Tulsa, Oklahoma in July 1949. Spartan Air Services Limited of Ottawa, Ontario registered it as CF-GCH in December 1951. It suffered a landing gear collapse at Duluth, Minnesota on May 3, 1953. Hycon Aerial Surveys of Pasadena, California registered it as N5596V on November 8, 1956. It was retired and stored in the open at Las Vegas in December 1959. Don E. May of Phoenix, Arizona bought it on June 25, 1962 and sold it to Ben W. Widtfeldt and Desert Aviation Incorporated of Phoenix, Arizona on June 19, 1963. Aero Enterprises of La Porte, Indiana acquired it on September 9, 1963 and sold it to Laurel Walsh of Birmingham, Michigan on November 11, 1963. J.W. Bohmier and New London Airport of New London, Pennsylvania bought it on December 6, 1963 and sold it to Jim Cullen and Westair Company of Westminster, Colorado on Nov. 2, 1964. Troy G. Hawkins of Wichita Falls, Texas acquired it on September 9, 1965 and sold it to L. James Ausland and Sports Air of Seattle, Washington on April 20, 1967. William E. Padden of Los Angeles, California bought it on April 20, 1968 and sold it to I.N. "Junior" Burchinal of Paris, Texas on August 19, 1970. It struck a car and trailer while landing and suffered a landing gear collapse at Paris, Texas on May 23, 1971. David M. Boyd and Eagle Aviation of Tulsa, Oklahoma acquired the wreckage on April 2, 1973 and sold it to John P. Silberman of Key West, Florida on January 4, 1979. It was rebuilt at Live Oaks, Florida and made its first flight in September 1985. The Museum Of Flying at Santa Monica, California acquired it in October 1989 and fitted it with a conventional fighter nose in 1990. William Lyons and Martin Aviation of Santa Ana, California bought it on May 20, 1990. It was damaged in a gear up landing at Winslow, Arizona in August 1992. David Price, Liberty Aero Corp, and the Museum Of Flying at Santa Monica, California acquired it on November 6, 1995 and traded it to the Commemorative Air Force in September 2002. Vintage Fighters LLC of Corona del Mar, California registered it as NL7723C on June 10, 2005.
Lockheed P-38L Lightning, NL7723C
Curtiss P-40N Warhawk, NL85104. Its Army Air Corps serial was 42-105192. It was delivered to the Royal Canadian Air Force as 858. Fred Dyson bought it and 42-106396 at Boeing Field, Seattle, Washington on October 23, 1947. It was owned by W. Bridges in Jackson, Mississippi from 1952 to 1954. Louis Rice of Marysville, California bought it in 1954 and very quickly sold it to Richard Rowlette of Riverside, California. Walter Brockin, also of Riverside, acquired it in 1955 nd then sold it to W. Keith Larkin of Weather Modification Company in San Jose, California. It was damaged in a wheels up landing near Denver, Colorado in 1958. The Air Museum in Ontario restored it to static display condition in 1959. Restoration of the airframe was begun in 1977. It made its first flight after restoration in 1981, when it acquired its current registration. It is powered by an Allison V-1710 twelve-cylinder engine.
North American B-25J Mitchell, N3675G Photo Fanny has been registered to James Maloney of Corona Del Mar, California since January 10, 1978. Its Army Air Corps tail number was 44-30423. It joined the Air Museum in Ontario, California in 1965. It is often used for air-to-air photography sessions of the warbirds flying out of Chino. It is powered by a pair of Wright R-2600 radial engines.
North American P-51D Mustang, NL327DB Lady Jo is registered to Aero Classics, Inc of Chino, California. It was built as Army Air Corps 44-84860. Stephen Johnson of Oakland, California recovered it in 1978. John MacGuire of El Paso, Texas registered it as N55509 in August 1984 and sold it to Aero Classics of Chino in June 1989. It was rebuilt at Chino as a two-seat TF-51D, making its first flight after restoration on May 19, 1989. It wears 484860 on its tail.
North American P-51D Mustang, N64824 Speedball Alice has been registered to Arthur Vance of Sebastapol, California since October 2000. It served the Army Air Corps as 44-74389. It was transferred to the Royal Canadian Air Force as 9580 in 1950. It received its current registration in 1973. Art Vance bought it in 1976. It was rebuilt at Shafter in 1982 as Million Dollar Baby in 1982. It was renamed Speedball Alice in 2000.
Grumman designed TBM-3E Avenger, N28SF was built by General Motors. It has been registered to Charles Wentworth of Paso Robles, California since August 1995. It was assigned U. S. Navy BuNo 85983 but was delivered to the Royal Canadian Navy as 374. Simsbury Flying Service of Simsbury, Connecticut registered it as N4039A. Miramichi Air Service registered it as C-FBEG in May 1974. Hicks & Lawrence limited of St. Thomasl, Ontario operated it as tanker #1 and named it Yogi Bear. Syracuse Flying Service of Syracuse, Kansas gave it its current registration in November 1985. C & C Corporation of Rialto, California bought it in 1987.
North American T-28D Fennec, N632NA was ordered by the Air Force as T-28A, 51-7632. It was converted to T-28D standard by replacing its R-1300 radial engine with an R-1820 radial engine, adding a ventral speed brake, and installing provisions for guns and carrying ordnance. It was diverted to L'Armee de l'Air as Fennec No. 1 in 1959. Its construction number is 174-485. It spent some time in the service of the Moroccan Air Force as CN-AEP. It was transferred to the FA Honduras as FAH-227 in 1978. It was registered in Honduras as HR-226A. Courtesy Aircraft Incorporated of Rockford, Illinois gave it its current registration in September 1985. William S. Sullivan of Verona, New Jersey bought it in 1987 and sold it to DMS Management of Manchester, New Hampshire in 1989. It has been registered to Warbird Aircraft LLC of San Diego, California since October 26, 2000
Douglas A-1H Skyraider, NX39606 is registered to Warbird Aircraft of San Diego. Its Navy Buno was 139606 and it was delivered to the South Vietnamese Air Force. It was recovered through Thailand by Yesterday's Air Force in 1980. It was registered as N3915B by Military Aircraft Restoration Corporation at Chino in 1983. The Donald Douglas Museum at Santa Monica registered it as NX39606 in July 1988 and passed it on to the Santa Monica Museum of Flying in 1990.
Grumman F7F-3N Tigercat night fighter, N805MB Big Bossman was recently purchased from the Lonestar Flight Museum of Galveston, Texas by Mike Brown and the September Pops Unlimited Racing Group. Its Grumman construction number is C.245. It was built as a ingle seat F7F-3 and served the U. S. Marine Corps as BuNo 80503. It was converted as a fire fighting tanker and operated by TBM Incorporated from 1960 to the 1970s. It was rebuilt as a two-seater in 1988 - 1989. The Lonestar Flight Museum registered it as N800RW in January 1989.
Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk X, NX33TF is registered to Chino Warbirds. It was built in 1940 as Canadian Car and Foundry 41H/8020. It operated from Yeovilton in Somerset. It crashed on December 5, 1942. The wreckage was recovered in 1960. Its restoration to airworthy condition by Hawker Restoration Limited was begun in 1994. It returned to flight on June 7, 2000. It flew in England as G-TWTD. It received its U.S. registration on October 11, 2001.
Supermarine Spitfire LF IX E, NX2TF has been registered to Chino Spitfire LLC of Houston, Texas since December 2001. Data about NX2TF from the Airworthy Spitfires Page of the Military Airshows in the U.K. web site:
Built by Vickers-Armstrong at Castle Bromwich early 1944. To 6 MU April 28th passed to 84 Support Group Unit May 30th. Allocated to 443 (RCAF) Sqn Ford June 2nd coded 21-T. In action on D-Day by late June based at St Croix-sur-Mer, Normandy. June 26th claimed Fw190 damaged/probable over Rouen, July 13th Bf109 damaged/probable over Normandy. Two Bf109s destroyed September 29th. Subsequently issued to 442, 401, and 441 Sqns. To 29 MU August 1945 and stored. Sold back to Vickers-Armstrong, South Marston October 31st 1946 and converted to 2-seat trainer for Indian Air Force by October 1948, tested as G-15-11 and delivered to IAF and became HS543. In IAF Museum, Palam 1967; bought by Senator Norman E. Garr in April 1971. Arrived Charleston March 15th 1972 and stored at New Orleans until November 1972, sent to Darrell Skurich, Fort Collins, Colorado for restoration but little done before being traded to Stephen Grey and freighted to UK. Restored by PPS at Booker, registered G-BJSG January 29th 1981 and flew February 10th 1984. Was based at Duxford and operated by TFC. ML417 suffered an undercarriage collapse while parked at Le Touquet in 1999 and was given a major overhaul at Duxford. Flew again after 2 years at Duxford on 18th June 2001. Sold to Tom Friedkin, registered to 'Chino Spitfire Ltd' as NX2TF and shipped to USA in December 2001.
Republic P-47G "razorback" Thunderbolt, N3395G Spirit of Atlantic City NJ has been registered to the Planes of Fame Museum since December 1965. Its original serial was 42-25254. It was manufactured under license by Curtiss. It was purchased by the Grand Central Aircraft Company of Glendale, California in 1944. Cal Aero Technical Institute used the airframe as a mechanic training aid from 1950 to 1955. The Claremont Air Museum acquired it in October 1955. It was restored to flying condition at Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico. The restoration began in 1958, and it first flew in 1963, when it received its current registration. It flew as Roscoe's Retreat for a while. It crashed during an airshow at Pt. Mugu Naval Air Station, California on October 23, 1971. The next time it flew was in 1976. It is powered by a Pratt & Whitney R-2800 radial engine.
Republic P-47D Thunderbolt, NX47DF is registered to Ted Melsheimer of Carson City, Nevada. It was built as 45-49335, but it carries tail number 45-49385. In the early seventies it was owned by Vintage Aircraft International of Nyack, New York. It was reassembled by the Confederate Air Force in Harlingen, Texas in 1973 and flew as Unadilla Killa of the 354th Fighter Group. In 1974 it was sold to Tom Friedkin of Palomar, California. In April 1975 it went to the Military Aircraft Restoration Group at Chino, which stored it at Barstow-Dagget airport in California for several years. It crashed on take-off on March 7, 1980 at Barstow. It was rebuilt in Tulsa, Oklahoma. After that it was based in Caspar Wyoming through 1986. It was loaned to the Liberal Air Museum in Liberal, Kansas until 1990. In October 1990 it made a forced landing near Flagstaff, Arizona while it was being ferried from Topeka, Kansas to Chino. It is powered by a Pratt & Whitney R-2800 radial engine.
Flying Dutchman, an Australian manufactured Commonwealth CA-18 Mk. 21, is a license built version of the North American P-51D Mustang. It is registered as N51AB. It was registered to Inpatient Dental Service, Inc. last year. Its Commonwealth of Australia construction number is 1425. It served in the Royal Australian Air Force as A68-100. It was registered as VH-BOW in 1967 by Fawcett Aviation of Bankstown, New South Wales. It was registered in the United States as N51AB in 1977 by James Ausland of Seattle, Washington.
North American P-51D Mustang, NL451TB Kimberly Kaye has been registered to Banta Aviation Corporation of Dover Delaware since February 2001. It served the Army Air Corps as 45-11559. It was transferred to the FA Salvadorena as FAS-401 in September 1968. Flaherty Factors Incorporated of Monterey, California registered it as N34FF on November 1, 1974. It swapped identities with 44-11153 when it returned to the United States. Clark Motor Company of State College, Pennsylvnia bought it in 1983 and re-registered it as N51WE in September 1985. It crashed near State College, Pennsylvnia on March 7, 1988, killing William Clark. It was restored to airworthy condition, making its first flight on March 22, 2003.
North American P-51D Mustang, NL7722C was delivered to the Army Air Force as 44-73420. Its construction number is 122-39879. Michael E. Coutches and American Aircraft Sales Company of Hayward, California registered it as N7722C on February 17, 1958. Ronald E. West and West Foods Incorporated of Soquel, California acquired it in 1958 and sold it to Richard B. McFarlane on July 21, 1958. Donald G. Bell of Livermore, California bought it on August 25, 1958 and sold it to Robert G. Bixler of San Jose, California in October 1965. Robert H. Phillips of Phoenix, Arizona acquired it on March 1971 and sold it to Rob Satterfield of Aaron F. Giebel and Dallas L. Smith of Midland, Texas on September 9, 1978. Rob Satterfield and Dallas L. Smith of Midland bought it in 1983 and sold it to Dallas L. Smith of Midland in 1990. Brian Hore and Alpine Fighter Collection of Wanaka, New Zealand acquired it in 1993 and registered it as ZK-PLI. It flew as Flew as Isabell II of the 357th Fighter Group. Jack Croul and Aircorp/Pursuit LLC of Corona Del Mar, California registered it as N7722C again on December 7, 2005.
Curtiss Warhawk Mk. 1, N940AK is restored as P-40E 41-13521. It was built for the Royal Air Force as AK940, but it was diverted to the Royal Canadian Air Force, which it served as 1058. It was surplussed at RCAF Vulcan, Alberta on August 16, 1946. It was displayed next to Big Bomber Service Station in Red Deer, Alberta from 1950 to 1956. Bob Warden of Calgary, Alberta acquired it in 1968 and sold it to David Harrington of Edmonton, Alberta. Bob Diemert of Carman, Manitoba bought it in 1969 and sold it to William Anderson of Geneseo, New York in 1970. Stewart Schwartz and Bill Pryor of Pontiac, Michigan registered it as N940AK in 1976. It made its first flight after restoration as SNAFU on July 26, 1980. Norton Aero Limited of Athol, Idaho bought it in 1984 and sold it to William Anderson and Rangoon Airways Incorporated of Las Vegas, Nevada later that year. William Andersonand the National Warplane Museum at Geneseo, New York acquired it in 1988. It made a forced landing near Phelps, New York on November 5, 1995. John Giljam and Hilltop Welding acquired the wreckage and sold it to Dick Thurmanand the Vintage Warbird Museum Incorporated of Louisville, Kentucky in 1998. It was moved to Pioneer Avspecs at Wanaka, New Zealand to be rebuilt. It made its first flight after restoration on March 24, 2002. It has been registered to Tony Banta and Banta Aviation Corporation of Dover, Delaware since May 24, 2001.
Hawker Sea Fury Mk. 11, N19SF Argonought was originally delivered to the Royal Canadian Navy. Frank Sanders of Chino acquired it in 1970 and used parts from it for other restoration projects. It was transferred to Frank's son Brian and Sanders Aircraft Incorporated in 1990. It was rebuilt based on the cockpit section of Sea Fury TG114 (former N232J) which was itself restored from parts of VR918 and VR919. Its Bristol Centaurus engine was replaced with a Wright R-3350 radial engine. It first flew after restoration on July 30, 1994. It was named Argonought and assigned race number 16. It was registered N19SF, which was previously assigned to a different Sea Fury that crashed at Harlingen, Texas on October 9, 1981.
Bell P-63A King Cobra, NX163BP Pretty Polly was delivered to the Army Air Force as 42-68864. It was displayed at Elliot White Springs Park in Lancaster, British Columbia from 1950 to 1960. Don Whittington of Fort Lauderdale, Florida acquired the hulk and sold it to the Confederate Air Force at Harlingen, Texas in 1984. Robert J. Pond and the Planes Of Fame East at Minneapolis-Flying Cloud, Minnesota bought it in 1988. It was restored to airworthy condition at Chino, making its first flight after restoration on October 2, 1992. It is now in the collection of the Palm Springs Air Museum.
North American P-51D Mustang, N2580 Six Shooter has been registered to Charles Hall of Annis, Montana since January 1996. It was rebuilt as a Cavalier T Mk. 2 two seater in the 1960s. It received a new Air Force serial number, 67-22580, and was delivered to the FA Boliviana as FAB 520 on January 19, 1968. It was recovered by Arny Carnegie of Edmonton, Alberta in December 1977 and recieved the Canadian registration C-GXUQ. McClain Flight Service of Strathmmore, Alberta bought it in August 1978. Richard Korff of Lockport, New York reigstered it as N151RK in October 1986.
North American SNJ-5 Texan, N3375G was ordered by the Army Air Force as 42-86287 and then transferred to the Navy as BuNo 90790. Its construction number is 88-18068.
North American SNJ-5 Texan, N2550 was ordered by the Army Air Force as 41-34418 and then transferred to the Navy as BuNo 43683. Its construction number is 88-15348.
Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat, NX30FG has been registered to Chino Warbirds since 1991. Its Grumman construction number is A-3196. Its Navy BuNo was 41930. It first appeared on the civil register as N6096C in 1963. Its registration changed to N103V in 1965. From 1972 to 1990 it was displayed at the Champlin Fighter Museum at Falcon Field near Mesa, Airzona.
Vought F4U-1A Corsair, NX83782 is registered to the Planes of Fame Museum at Chino, California. It is the oldest airworthy Corsair. It flew for the Navy as Buno 17799 and still carries that number on its tail. It was used as a movie prop by MGM Studios. The Ontario Air Museum acquired it in 1970. It was restored to airworthy condition in 1977.
Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat, N1078Z Minsi III. Its Grumman construction number is A-5634. John Sandberg recovered it from the Fergus Falls Airport in Minnesota in 1962. It was subsequently owned by Lloyd Nolan and Ed Messick.
Goodyear FG-1D Corsair, N106FG was delivered to the Navy as BuNo 92106. Its construction number is 3367. Len Berryman of Bridgeport, Washington acquired it from Naval Air Station Spokane in May, 1958. David Tallichet and Military Aircraft Restoration Corporation of Chino, California registered it as N6897 in 1973. It appeared in the Television series Blacksheep Squadron. It was removed from the Civil Register in April 1989. Gary Kohs of Chicago, Illinois shipped it to Airpower Unlimited of Jerome, Idaho for restoration in 1990. GK Air LLC of Royal Oak, Michigan registered it as N106FG in July 2003. It has been registered to Provenance Fighte Sales Incorporated of Las Vegas, nevada since April 26, 2006.
General Motors FM-2 Wildcat, N86572 has been operated by the Warhawk Air Museum of Boise, Idaho since August of 1997. It served the U. S. Navy as BuNo 86572. Its Grumman construction number is 5626. It entered the civil register as N35MK in 1954. Lyman Rice of Laconia, New Hampshire bought it in 1959 and sold it to Hamilton Aircraft Company of Tucson, Arizona in 1963. New London Airport in Pennsylvania acquired it in 1972 and reportedly sold it in 1984, when it was re-registered as N35M. It was struck off the civil register in April 1990.
General Motors FM-2 Wildcat, N29FG is powered by a Wright R-1820 Cyclone single-bank, nine-cylinder radial engine. Air Service Control Incorporated of West Bend, Wisconson registered it as N90523 in the early fifties. They sold it to Frank Tallman's museum at the Orange County Airport, California in 1960. Wade Porter of Columbus, Indiana bought it in 1963 and sold it to the Yankee Air Club of Sunderland, Massachusetts in 1966. It joined the Damned Yankee Air Force at Turner Falls, Massachusetts later that year. William Whitesell of Medford, New Jersey acquired it in 1969 and sold it to Doug Champlin on Enid, Oklahoma in 1971. He moved it to the Champlin Fighter Museum at Falcon Field in Mesa, Arizona in 1978. Tom Friedkin of Cinema Air in Houston, Texas bought it from Champlin in December 1990 and registered it as N16TF. He moved it to Cinema Air of Carlsbad, California and re-registered it as N29FG the next year.
Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless, NX670AM of the Planes of Fame Museum. It was built as Navy BuNo 28536 but delivered to the Royal New Zealand Air Force as NZ5062. After the war it was used as a wind machine by MGM Studios. Wings from another SBD were recovered from Guadalcanal to return this Dauntless to flying condition in 1987. It flew its first flight after reconstruction on February 7, 1987. It is powered by a Wright R-1820 radial engine.
20 years ago: Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless, NX670AM on display at the Air Museum Planes of Fame on October 18, 1987.
Grumman F3F Flying Barrel, N20FG is owned by Cinema Air of Carlsbad, California. It was manufactured by the Texas Airplane Factory. It is powered by a Wright R-1820 radial engine.
Grumman F8F Bearcat, NX224RD was delivered to the U.S. Navy as BuNo 121748. Its construction number is D.1122. It was retired from the Navy on January 1, 1957. Bob Meyers registered it as N1029B in 1958. John Church and New Jersey Air Company of Hackensack, New Jersey acquired it in 1959 and sold it to Michael E. Coutches of Hayward, California in 1963. It was registered as N618F in 1967. Stanley M. Krazet of Covina, California bought it in 1969 and flew it as race #7. John Gury of St. Louis, Missouri registered it as N200N in 1975. Harold Beal and Charles Smith of Knoxville, Tennessee acquired it in 1979 and sold it to Don Whittington, Whittington Brothers, and World Jet Incorporated of Fort Lauderdale, Florida later that year. It was stored in Fort Collins, Colorado until 1997. René Bouverat and Air B Aviation of Marnaz, France bought it in 1997. It was restored by Sanders Aviation, making its first flight after restoration on Sept. 28, 1999. It arrived in France on December 24, 1999. Air B Aviation of Annemasse, France registered it as F-AZRJ on March 1, 2000. Ray Dieckman of Cincinnati, Ohio registered it as N224RD in July 2005. It has been registered to Worldwide jet Management LLC of Missoula, Montana since July 24, 2006.
Grumman F8F Bearcat, NX224RD
McDonnell-Douglas F/A-18C Hornet, #315 of VFA-125 Rough Raiders based at Naval Air Station Lemoore.
McDonnell-Douglas F/A-18C Hornet, #400 of VFA-125 Rough Raiders based at Naval Air Station Lemoore.
McDonnell-Douglas F-15E Strike Eagle, 89-0483 of the 4th Fighter Wing based at Seymour-Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina.
McDonnell-Douglas F-15E Strike Eagle, 89-0492 of the 4th Fighter Wing
Mitsubishi A6M5 "Zero" NX46770 is registered to the Planes of Fame Museum of Chino. Its Mitsubishi construction number is 5357. It was captured by U. S. troops at Asilito Airfield, Saipan on June 18, 1944. It was shipped to the U. S. for evaluation, arriving in San Diego, California on July 16, 1944. It was flown for approximately 190 hours by Navy pilots at Patuxent River Naval Air Station, Maryland. Ed Maloney acquired it for the Air Museum in Claremont in 1950. It first flew after restoration on June 28, 1978. It is powered by an original Sakai 21 radial engine.
Mitsubishi A6M3 Model 22 "Zero", NX712Z is part of the collection of the Southern California Wing of the Commemorative Air Force. I has been registered to the Liberty Aero Corporation since February 1998. Its Mitsubishi construction number is 3869. It was found on New Guinea near the town of Babo. Its restoration was begun in Russia and completed in the United States. It is powered by a Pratt & Whitney R-1830 radial engine.
Aichi D3A Val replica, NX67629 is a modified Consolidated-Vultee BT-15 that was sold to the civilian market in the 40's. It was modified to represent a Japanese Val for the 1969 movie TORA TORA TORA. The modification consisted of an extra 3 feet of fuselage added between the rear cockpit and the tail, a large fiberglass dorsal fin, raised sides of the fuselage and lower canopies. The modifications also incorporated large fiberglass wheel pants. Its Wright R-975 engine was replaced with a Pratt and Whitney R-1340. After the movie was completed the Val was sold to the San Diego Aerospace Museum. The Planes of Fame Museum acquired the Val back in 1973. It was returned to airworthy condition for the Disney Pearl Harbor film.
Visit Muche's Warbirds Val Replica page for more information.
Sinson L-5G Sentinal, N6055C was delivered to the Army Air Force as 45-34950, and it is restored with that tail number.
Zlin 50LX, N6660K Tumbling Bear flown by Rob Harrison lives up to its name. It was built in 1996. Its serial number is 0075.
North American F-86F Sabre, NX186AM has been registered to the Air Museum at Chino since March 1999. Its Air Force serial was 52-5012. Its North American construction number is 191-708. Tom Friedkin of Cinema Air Corporation registered it as N4TF in April 1990.
Lockheed TV-2, NX6633D is the Navy version of the T-33A. It served the U.S. Navy as BuNo 126591. Although it is restored in U.S. Air Force markings it carries the last five digits of its Navy BuNo on its tail.
MiG-15, NX87CN has been registered to the Air Museum at Chino since February 1999. It was operated by the Chinese Air Force as 83277. Tom Friedkin first registered it in the U. S. in June 1991.
Highly modified North American P-51D Mustang, N71FT Strega is one of the fastest unlimited racing planes.
Pitts S-1S Special, N91JW is flown by Marilyn Dash.
North American SNJ-6 Texan, N349JB was ordered by the Army Air Force as AT-6F, 44-82488 and then transferred to the Navy as BuNo 112247. Its construction number is 121-43210. It is restored as U. S. Air Force T-6G, 49-3319.
Yakovlev Yak-52, 2255C
Cessna 195, N1508D
Convair 240, N240HH The 49'er formerly registered N8408H has recently been restored in the colors of Western Air Lines. It was delivered to Western Air Lines on October 5, 1948. Air Carrier Service Corportation bought it in 1961 and sold it to Air Korea on February 6, 1961. Japan Domestic Airlines bought it in 1963, leasing it to Southwest Airlines in July 1967 and retiring it in 1968. Air Service Incorporated regiastered it as N8408H on January 23, 1969. Texas Instruments Incorporated acquired it in August 1971 and re-registered it as N240HH in January 1982. It has been stored at Chino for many years, and it is being restored to airworthy condition.
Folland Gnat T.1, N7HY was restored in the colors of the Royal Air Force Red Arrows flight demonstration team in memory of Dr. Jim McMahon. It carries construction number FL529 and was built in 1962.
North American T-28B Trojan, NX171BA was delivered to the U.S. Navy as BuNo 138171 in 1954.
North American B-25J Mitchell, Pacific Princess has been registered as N9856C since 1963. It is currently owned by Ted Itano of Monterey Park, California. It still carries its original Air Corps tail number 43-28204. While still in the service of the Air Force, it was redesignated TB-25N. Idaho Aircraft Incorporated of Boise operated it as a tanker in 1963. Dennis Smilanich of Boise owned it from 1963 to 1966. Filmways Incorporated acquired it for use in the movie Catch-22 and then sold it to Ted Itano in 1972.
Commonwealth CA-25 Winjeel, NX107PJ was built in 1059. Its construction number is A85-429.
This Stearman mounted on floats has no apparent registration.
Waco UPF-7, NC29962
Lockheed Model 12A Electra Junior, NC18906 wears construction number 1277.
Bell YP-59A Airacomet, 42-108777 carries construction number 27-10. Its General Electric I-A engines have been rebuilt and the airplane is expected to fly within a year.
22 years ago: Bell YP-59A Airacomet, 42-108777 had a second cockpit in the nose when it appeared on display at the Air Museum Planes of Fame on May 20, 1984.
Beechcraft B17R Staggerwing, NC14413 was built in 1935. Its construction number is 38.
Ryan Navion B L-17B, N5287K was built in 1950. Its construction number is NAV-4-2187B.
Cessna O-2 (M337B) Super Skymaster, N829AF was formerly U.S.A.F. 68-10829 and still carries that ID. It has been registered to Tom Wilson of Ontario, California Since September 25, 1996. It carries Cessna construction number 337M0194.
Vertol H-21B Shawnee, N64606 flew for the Army as 54-4001. Its construction umber is B.154. It was transferred to the Algerian ALAT as 8000114 and then to the French Navy as F-YDCB. it returned to ALAT as AAG in 1960. Midwest Helicioter Airways registered it as N64606. It has been registered to the Classic Rotors Museum at the Ramona Airport since July 7 1998.
Grumman OV-1A Mohawk, N4235Z was formerly operated by Aero Enterprises Incorporated. It has been registered to the Air Museum at Chino since March 27, 2006.
Curtiss C-46F Commando, N53594 China Doll served the Army Air Force as 44-78663. Its Curtiss construction number is 22486. Riddle Airlines operated it from August 1960 to July 1963. Zantop Air Transport operated it from July 1963 to September 1966. After flying for Ortiner Air Services it was acquired by the Confederate Air Force of Midland, Texas in 1991. It is registered to the American Airpower Heritage Flying Museum and based with the Southern California Wing of the Commemorative Air Force at Camarillo.
North American T-28A Trojan, N81643 served the Air Force as 49-1643. Its construction number is 159-155. Norman B. Dennis Jr. of Brookneal, California registered it as N9674C in 1966. Robert Eggmann of Belleville, Illinois registered it as N28RE in 1978. Edward A. Buerckholtz of Chesterfield, Missouri registered it as N81643 in 1985. It has been registered to Round Power Limited of Reno, Nevada since March 4, 2004. Its owner, Gregg Weitzman, recently had it restored in the colors of a T-28A that was flown by the Air Force Test Pilot School at Edwards Air Force Base in the 1950s. It is based at the Santa Barbara Airport.
North American B-25J Mitchell, NL9117Z In The Mood. Its North American construction number is 108-33524. Its Army Air Force serial number was 44-29199 and it still carries that number on its tail. It appeared on the civil register for the first time in 1963. Its first civilian owner was A. B. Sellman of Abe's Aerial Service in Safford, Arizona. Aircraft Specialties of Mesa, Arizona converted it to a fire fighting tanker and gave it tanker c35. It was withdrawn from fire fighting use by the early 1970s and left derelict at Falcon Field. It was restored to airworthy condition in 1977-78. It has been owned by Robert Lumbard of Fontana, California since 1986.
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress, N9563Z Fuddy Duddy was delivered to the U. S. Army Air Corps as 44-83563. It was modified to a CB-17G cargo transport and then to a VB-17G VIP transport. It was acquired by American Compressed Steel of Cincinnati, Ohio on August 18, 1959. Aero American Corporation of Tucson, Arizona acquired it on May 9, 1960 and gave it its current registration. Columbia Pictures Incorporated of New York leased it on October 11, 1961 to use it in the movie The War Lover. In the movie it portrayed B-17F, 41-27742. It departed the United Kingdom on May 16, 1962. It spent some time in storage at Ryan Field, Arizona. Aviation Specialties Incorporated of Mesa, Arizona bought it on February 2, 1963 and operated it as tanker e24, c24, #24, and #89. It was flown to Hawaii in January 1969 to appear in the movie Tora Tora Tora. Globe Air Incorporated of Mesa, Arizona acquired it on February 18, 1981. The National Warplane Museum at Horseheads, New York bought it in October 1985. It has been registered to Martin Aviation of Santa Ana, California since January 13, 2006.
TL-10A (Cessna 305) Bird Dog, N5263G
North American P-51C Mustang Princess Elizabeth is a composite airframe made from the wings of a P-51B and fuselage components from more than one P-51D. The construction number of the wings is 103-26778. It made its first flight on June 11, 1981. Peter Regina of Van Nuys, California registered it as N51PR. It flew as Shangri La. Joseph Kasparoff of Montebello, California acquired it in 1987, painted it red and flew it as The Believer, Race #97. Stephen Grey and The Fighter Collection had it shipped to Duxford, United Kingdom in 1996 where ti was restored as Princess Elizabeth. It returned to Pacific Fighters at Chino for restoration in November 1998 and flew again in 2002. The registration N51PR is no longer assigned to this Mustang.
Twenty-three years ago: this Mustang was restored as P-51B-5 43-6913 Shangri La of the 336th Fighter Squadron of the 4th Fighter Group when it appeared at the Chino airshow on May 20, 1984.
Seventeen years ago: this Mustang was painted as The Believer, Race #97 when it visited the Santa Barbara Airport on January 7, 1990
North American P-51D Mustang, N151MW Lady Alice was delivered to the Army Air Force as 45-11633. Its construction number is 124-48386. William G. Lacy and Lacy Steel Incorporated of Honolulu, Hawaii registered it as N5413V in 1963. It was damaged in a ground accident at Honolulu in 1972. Lady Alice Corporation of Wilmington, Delaware registered it as N151MW on August 26, 1999. It has been registered to Wagner P-51 Corporation since September 12, 2006.
North American B-25J Mitchell, NL25GL Guardian of Freedom was delivered to the Army Air Force as 44-29465. Its construction number is 108-33790. The Air Force removed its military systems and converted it to a TB-25N before retiring it at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Arizona in 1958. Haddock Motor Sales of Battle Creek, Michigan bought it in July 1959. Ernest Beckman of Battle Creek registered it as N3523G in October 1959. Glenn H. Lamont of Detroit, Michigan acquired it in July 1975 after it spent a decade in open storage. It was registered as N25GL in February 1986. It has been registered to Martin Aviation of Newport Beach, California since June 8, 2000.
Page 1: Grumman Ironworks Flight/Missing Man Formation, Silver Wings Stearman Biplane Wing Walking, and Pacific Air Battle
Page 2: Tumbling Bear, Korean Air War, Tailhook Legacy Flight, and Brian Sanders Sea Fury Aerobatics
Page 3: Air Power Formation Flight
Page 4: Lightning Strikes! Formation of Three P-38s, USAF Heritage Flight, and Vietnam Air War
Previous events at Chino.
You can buy a 2018 calendar featuring my photographs of Vintage Airplanes at Chino, California.
A dozen photos of vintage airplanes flying at the Planes of Fame Airshow at Chino on April 29, 2016. Aircraft pictured include:
Waco UPF-7 NC30140
Stearman VN2S-3 N66290
Ryan PT-22 (ST3KR) N48777 146 and N48742 269
Cessna 190 N9848A
Stearman 4E Junior Speedmail NC663K and Boeing P-26 Pea Shooter N3378G
Howard DGA-15P N5604V
Lockheed 12A N18906 Electra Junior
Boeing P-26 Pea Shooter N3378G
Naval Aircraft Factory N3N-3 N44848
Fairchild PT-19A N11CM
Travel Air D-4-D NC472N
Beech G18S N351WP
Put a copy of the Vintage Airplanes at Chino: 2018 Calendar in your Lulu.com shopping cart for $14.95.
Link to the P-38 National Association Glacier Girl page.
Send a message to Brian.