Planes of Fame Airshow at Chino
Over seventy vintage airplanes were displayed at the Planes of Fame Airshow at Chino over the weekend of May 16 - 17. The theme of the show was the Grumman Iron Works. The show featured five Grumman F8F Bearcats, three Grumman F7F Tigercats, three General Motors TBM Avengers, three Curtiss P-40 Warhawks, two North American B-25 Mitchells, two Mitsubishi A6M "Zeroes", several North American P-51 Mustangs and a host of others.
Planes of Fame Museum's Grumman F9F-5P Panther BuNo 126277.
Seversky AT-12, NX55539 is a trainer version of the P-35 pursuit plane. It carries Seversky construction number 483-38. It was built for the Swedish Air Force as a 2PA Guardsman in 1940, but it was interned by the U.S. Army Air Force, assigned serial number 41-17529, and used as an advanced trainer. It was withdrawn from flight status in the late 1970s and only recently restored to airworthy condition. Its current flight certificate was issued on March 3, 2006.
Boeing P-26 Peashooter, N3378G flew for the Army Air Corps as 33-123. It carries Boeing construction number 1899. It was transferred to the Guatemalan Air Force as 0672 on May 11, 1943. The Air Museum of Ontario acquired it in 1957. The Autonetics Division of North American Aviation restored it to airworthy condition in 1962.
Gloster Meteor F.4 VT260 was acquired from the Imperial War Museum, Duxford in exchange for North American F-86 Sabre 48-0242.
Beechcraft T-34A Mentor Jaybelle carries fictitious tail number 55-43709.
Beechcraft B17R Staggerwing NC14413 was built in 1935. Its construction number is 38. It has been registered to Wings and Wheels Incorporated since April 1, 2002.
Naval Aircraft Factory N3N-3 N991PT was built in 1938. It has been registered to Wagner N3N Corporation Trust Center since July 24, 2008.
Stearman E75 (PT-17 Kaydet) N5359N has been registered to the Palm Springs Air Museum since August 28, 2006. Its construction number is 75-5522.
Folland Gnat T.1, N7HY was restored in the colors of the Royal Air Force Red Arrows flight demonstration team in memory of Dr. Jim McMahon. It carries construction number FL529 and was built in 1962.
North American T-28B Trojan Check Mate
North American T-28B Trojan NX171BA
North American SNJ-6 Texan, N349JB is restored as U. S. Air Force T-6G, 49-3319.
North American B-25J Mitchell, N3675G Photo Fanny has been registered to James Maloney of Corona Del Mar, California since January 10, 1978. Its Army Air Corps tail number was 44-30423. It joined the Air Museum in Ontario, California in 1965. It is often used for air-to-air photography sessions of the warbirds flying out of Chino. It is powered by a pair of Wright R-2600 radial engines.
Let C-11, N2124X Blyak Moose was built in 1952. It was flown by the Egyptian Air Force. It was withdrawwn from use and stored at El Aakha AB, Egypt in 1970. It was one of 41 C-11s shipped from Egypt to France in 1985 where it was acquired by Alain Capel and Jean Salis partnership in La Ferte-Alais. Joseph R. Haley of El Segundo, California bought it on August 17, 1989. It was rebuilt as a racer with an R-2800 radial engine at Chino and registered N2124X in 1989. It has been registered to Kent G. Carlomangno of San Rafael since october 11, 2001.
Fairchild-Republic A-10A Thunderbolt II of the 355th Fighter Wing based at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Arizona.
North American SNJ-5 Texan N2550 was ordered by the Army Air Force as 41-34418 and then transferred to the Navy as BuNo 43683. Its construction number is 88-15348.
Aichi D3A Val replica NX67629 is a modified Consolidated-Vultee BT-15 that was sold to the civilian market in the 40's. It was modified to represent a Japanese Val for the 1969 movie TORA TORA TORA. The modification consisted of an extra 3 feet of fuselage added between the rear cockpit and the tail, a large fiberglass dorsal fin, raised sides of the fuselage and lower canopies. The modifications also incorporated large fiberglass wheel pants. Its Wright R-975 engine was replaced with a Pratt and Whitney R-1340. After the movie was completed the Val was sold to the San Diego Aerospace Museum. The Planes of Fame Museum acquired the Val back in 1973. It was returned to airworthy condition for the Disney Pearl Harbor film.
Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless, NX670AM of the Planes of Fame Museum. It was built as Navy BuNo 28536 but delivered to the Royal New Zealand Air Force as NZ5062. After the war it was used as a wind machine by MGM Studios. Wings from another SBD were recovered from Guadalcanal to return this Dauntless to flying condition in 1987. It flew its first flight after reconstruction on February 7, 1987. It is powered by a Wright R-1820 radial engine.
Hawker Sea Fury Mk. 11, N19SF Argonought was originally delivered to the Royal Canadian Navy. Frank Sanders of Chino acquired it in 1970 and used parts from it for other restoration projects. It was transferred to Frank's son Brian and Sanders Aircraft Incorporated in 1990. It was rebuilt based on the cockpit section of Sea Fury TG114 (former N232J) which was itself restored from parts of VR918 and VR919. Its Bristol Centaurus engine was replaced with a Wright R-3350 radial engine. It first flew after restoration on July 30, 1994. It was named Argonought and assigned race number 16. It was registered N19SF, which was previously assigned to a different Sea Fury that crashed at Harlingen, Texas on October 9, 1981.
Avione Cariova SAS Yak-3U/R2000 N46463 was built in 2005 and carries construction number 001-3/2005. It is powered by a Pratt & Whitney R-2000 radial engine.
Curtiss Warhawk Mk. 1 N940AK is restored as P-40E 41-13521. It was built for the Royal Air Force as AK940, but it was diverted to the Royal Canadian Air Force, which it served as 1058. It was restored in New Zealand. It has been registered to Banta Aviation Corporation of Dover, Delaware since May 24, 2001.
Fairey Firefly AS-6 N518WB has been registered to Edward Kurdziel of Del Mar, California since February 2003. It was built in 1950 and is a veteran of the Korean War. It flew for the Royal Australian Navy as WB518 and still carries that ID. The K on the tail denotes that this Firefly came off the HMAS Sydney. Its Fairey construction number is F.8646. For a while, it was displayed on a pole at Griffith, New South Wales. Classic Aviation Pty Limited of Bankstown, NSW acquired it in 1991. It was restored using parts of Firefly WD828.
North American P-51D Mustang N64824 Speedball Alice has been registered to Arthur Vance of Sebastapol, California since October 2000. It served the Army Air Corps as 44-74389. It was transferred to the Royal Canadian Air Force as 9580 in 1950. It received its current registration in 1973. Art Vance bought it in 1976. It was rebuilt at Shafter in 1982 as Million Dollar Baby in 1982. It was renamed Speedball Alice in 2000.
Mitsubishi A6M3 Model 22 "Zero" NX712Z is part of the collection of the Southern California Wing of the Commemorative Air Force. I has been registered to the Liberty Aero Corporation since February 1998. Its Mitsubishi construction number is 3869. It was found on New Guinea near the town of Babo. Its restoration was begun in Russia and completed in the United States. It is powered by a Pratt & Whitney R-1830 radial engine.
North American P-51D Mustang, NL327DB Lady Jo is registered to Aero Classics, Inc of Chino, California. It was built as Army Air Corps 44-84860. Stephen Johnson of Oakland, California recovered it in 1978. John MacGuire of El Paso, Texas registered it as N55509 in August 1984 and sold it to Aero Classics of Chino in June 1989. It was rebuilt at Chino as a two-seat TF-51D, making its first flight after restoration on May 19, 1989. It wears 484860 on its tail.
North American P-51D Mustang, NL451TB Kimberly Kaye has been registered to Banta Aviation Corporation of Dover Delaware since February 2001. It served the Army Air Corps as 45-11559. It was transferred to the FA Salvadorena as FAS-401 in September 1968. Flaherty Factors Incorporated of Monterey, California registered it as N34FF on November 1, 1974. It swapped identities with 44-11153 when it returned to the United States. Clark Motor Company of State College, Pennsylvnia bought it in 1983 and re-registered it as N51WE in September 1985. It crashed near State College, Pennsylvnia on March 7, 1988, killing William Clark. It was restored to airworthy condition, making its first flight on March 22, 2003.
Mitsubishi A6M5 "Zero" NX46770 is registered to the Planes of Fame Museum of Chino. Its Mitsubishi construction number is 5357. It was captured by U. S. troops at Asilito Airfield, Saipan on June 18, 1944. It was shipped to the U. S. for evaluation, arriving in San Diego, California on July 16, 1944. It was flown for approximately 190 hours by Navy pilots at Patuxent River Naval Air Station, Maryland. Ed Maloney acquired it for the Air Museum in Claremont in 1950. It first flew after restoration on June 28, 1978. It is powered by an original Sakai 21 radial engine.
North American P-51A-10NA Mustang, NX4235Y Mrs Virginia carries construction number 99-22354 and served the Army Air Force as 43-6251. Cal Aero Technical Institute of Glendale, California acquired it in 1946 and sold it to Ed Maloney and The Air Museum at Claremont, California in 1953. It made its first flight after restoration to airworthy condition on August 19, 1981. It was formerly restored as Royal Air Force Apache AG470, RU-M and displayed at Valle, Arizona.
Republic P-47G "razorback" Thunderbolt, N3395G Spirit of Atlantic City NJ has been registered to the Planes of Fame Museum since December 1965. Its original serial was 42-25254. It was manufactured under license by Curtiss. It was purchased by the Grand Central Aircraft Company of Glendale, California in 1944. Cal Aero Technical Institute used the airframe as a mechanic training aid from 1950 to 1955. The Claremont Air Museum acquired it in October 1955. It was restored to flying condition at Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico. The restoration began in 1958, and it first flew in 1963, when it received its current registration. It flew as Roscoe's Retreat for a while. It crashed during an airshow at Pt. Mugu Naval Air Station, California on October 23, 1971. The next time it flew was in 1976. It is powered by a Pratt & Whitney R-2800 radial engine.
Curtiss P-40N Warhawk N1195N has been registered to Warhawk LLC of Meridian, Idaho since October 29, 2002. Its Curtiss construction number is 30158. Its Army Air Corps serial was 42-106396. It was delivered to the Royal Canadian Air Force as 880. Fred Dyson bought it at Boeing Field, Seattle, Washington on October 23, 1947. Hardwick Aircraft of Rosemead, California bought it in 1953. Following a wheels up landing, the damaged airframe was stored in Jack Hardwick's yard from 1955 to 1976. John Paul of Alamo, California bought it in 1976. It was rebuilt and returned to airworthy condition in 1984. It flew for a while with tail number 130158 and now carries 2106393 on its tail. It has raced as #77 and #17.
Bell P-63A King Cobra, NX163BP Pretty Polly was delivered to the Army Air Force as 42-68864. It was displayed at Elliot White Springs Park in Lancaster, British Columbia from 1950 to 1960. Don Whittington of Fort Lauderdale, Florida acquired the hulk and sold it to the Confederate Air Force at Harlingen, Texas in 1984. Robert J. Pond and the Planes Of Fame East at Minneapolis-Flying Cloud, Minnesota bought it in 1988. It was restored to airworthy condition at Chino, making its first flight after restoration on October 2, 1992. It is now in the collection of the Palm Springs Air Museum.
North American P-51D Mustang, N151MW Lady Alice was delivered to the Army Air Force as 45-11633. Its construction number is 124-48386. William G. Lacy and Lacy Steel Incorporated of Honolulu, Hawaii registered it as N5413V in 1963. It was damaged in a ground accident at Honolulu in 1972. Lady Alice Corporation of Wilmington, Delaware registered it as N151MW on August 26, 1999. It has been registered to Wagner P-51 Corporation since September 12, 2006.
Lockheed P-38J Lightning, NX138AM 23 Skidoo is registered to the Air Museum at Chino. It was built as Army Air Corps 44-23314. It was acquired by the Hanfield School of Aeronautics in Santa Maria, California in 1950. Jack Hardwicke of El Monte, California registered it as N29Q in 1954. He sold it to the Air Museum in Ontario, California in 1960 where it sat on static display for seventeen years. It was restored to flying condition, making its first flight on July 22, 1988. It then went to the Planes of Fame East museum in Minnesota. Bob Pond purchased it in October 1989 and registered it as N38BP.It returned to the Air Museum at Chino in 1998. It is powered by a pair of Allison V-1710 twelve-cylinder engines.
Vought F4U-1A Corsair, NX83782 is registered to the Planes of Fame Museum at Chino, California. It is the oldest airworthy Corsair. It flew for the Navy as Buno 17799 and still carries that number on its tail. It was used as a movie prop by MGM Studios. The Ontario Air Museum acquired it in 1970. It was restored to airworthy condition in 1977.
Grumman F7F-3P Tigercat N700F was delivered to the US Navy as BuNo 80390 in 1945. Kreitzberg Aviation of Salem, Oregon registered it as N6129C. Johnson Flying Service of Missoula, Montana bought it in 1963 and sold it to Calvin J. Butler and Butler Farm Air Service of Redmond, Oregon. It flew as tanker #F16 and later as tanker #16. TBM Incorporated of Tulare, California flew it as tanker #E62 from 1969 to 1978. Harold Beal and On Mark Aviation of Knoxville, Tennessee acquired it in November 1978 and sold it to Preston Parish and the Kalamazoo Aviation History Museum in Michigan in March 1980. Its registration was changed to N700F. Air Training Incorporated of Knoxville, Tennessee bought it in January 1981 and delivered it to the Kalamazoo Aviation History Museum in March 1985. It has been registered to Lewis Aeronautical LLC since October 24, 2008.
Grumman F7F-3N Tigercat night fighter, N805MB Big Bossman was recently purchased from the Lonestar Flight Museum of Galveston, Texas by Mike Brown and the September Pops Unlimited Racing Group. Its Grumman construction number is C.245. It was built as a ingle seat F7F-3 and served the U. S. Marine Corps as BuNo 80503. It was converted as a fire fighting tanker and operated by TBM Incorporated from 1960 to the 1970s. It was rebuilt as a two-seater in 1988 - 1989. The Lonestar Flight Museum registered it as N800RW in January 1989.
Grumman F8F-2P Bearcat NX747NF flew for the US Navy as BuNo 122614. It was purchased surplus from NAS Litchfield Park, Arizona for $805 by Lyloyd Nolan, Lefty Gardner, Bearcat and Company, and the Confederate Air Force of Mercedes, Texas and registered as N7957C in 1958. It was damaged in a wheels up landing at Mercedes, Texas on August 23, 1968. It crashed during a forced landing in May 1974. Stephen Grey and The Fighter Collection of Duxford, United Kingdom bought the wreck in 1987 and stored it at Chino until 1991. Steve Hinton, John Maloney, and Kevin Eldridge of Chino acuired it in 1992. It was registered as NX747NF by Lewis Aeronautical LLC on February 24, 2009. It is restored in the colors of the Royal Thai Air Force.
Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat NX14WB served the US Navy as BuNo 122619. Its construction number is D.1148. Lloyd Nolen, Lefty Gardner and Bearcat & Company of Mercedes, Texas purchased it for $805 at Naval Air Station Litchfield Park, Arizona in 1958 and registered it as N9758C. It was stored at Litchfield Park until 1963. T.A. Underwood of Buckeye, Arizona bought it in 1963 and sold it to Frank Williams of Port Arthur, Texas that same year. Larry Hamilton and Hamilton Aircraft of Sonoma, California acquired it in 1963 and sold it to Aviation Amazement-Amusement Incorporated and the Confederate Air Force of Oklahoma City in 1966. It was transferred to Gardner Flyers and the Confederate Air Force at Brownwood, Texas in 1968. It passed through the hands of Max Hoffman and Ken Boomhower before it was purchsed by Harold Beal and Charles Smith of Knoxville, Tennessee in 1973. Beal registered it as N700F in 1975. Whittington Brothers Incorporated of Fort Lauderdale, Florida acquired it in September 1989. Don Whittington and World Jet Incorporated of Fort Lauderdale registered it as N14WB in September 1979. It was loaned to the Experimental Aircraft Association Aviation Foundation in Oshkosh, Wisconson in 1980. Yesterday Museum Incorporated of Fort Lauderdale took charge of it in October 1998 and transferred it to World Jet Incorporated of Fort Lauderdale on September 2, 1999. It has been registered to Lewis Aeronautical LLC of San Antonio, Texas since January 23, 2008.
Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat NX224RD was delivered to the U.S. Navy as BuNo 121748. Its construction number is D.1122. It was retired from the Navy on January 1, 1957. Bob Meyers registered it as N1029B in 1958. John Church and New Jersey Air Company of Hackensack, New Jersey acquired it in 1959 and sold it to Michael E. Coutches of Hayward, California in 1963. It was registered as N618F in 1967. Stanley M. Krazet of Covina, California bought it in 1969 and flew it as race #7. John Gury of St. Louis, Missouri registered it as N200N in 1975. Harold Beal and Charles Smith of Knoxville, Tennessee acquired it in 1979 and sold it to Don Whittington, Whittington Brothers, and World Jet Incorporated of Fort Lauderdale, Florida later that year. It was stored in Fort Collins, Colorado until 1997. René Bouverat and Air B Aviation of Marnaz, France bought it in 1997. It was restored by Sanders Aviation, making its first flight after restoration on Sept. 28, 1999. It arrived in France on December 24, 1999. Air B Aviation of Annemasse, France registered it as F-AZRJ on March 1, 2000. Ray Dieckman of Cincinnati, Ohio registered it as N224RD in July 2005. It has been registered to Worldwide jet Management LLC of Missoula, Montana since July 24, 2006.
Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat NX8TF still carries its original Bureau of Aeronautics number 122637. It was first registered as N1033B in 1963 by William Johnson of Miami, Florida. Subsequently it was owned by New Jersey Air Company of Hackensack, New Jersey from 1966 to 1968, Sherman Cooper of Merced,California from 1968 to 1971, and John Church of Hackensack, New Jersey from 1971 to 1973. John Gury of St. Louis, Missouri changed the registration to N198F in 1973. Gury raced it under race numbers 99, 11, and 98. It was sold to John Herlihy of Montara, California in 1980 and then to Cecil Harp of Canby, Oregon in 1981. It was registered to Cinema Air of Houston, Texas in June 1982. It is registered to Chino Warbirds Incorporated and received its current tail number on July 31, 2008.
Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat N1078Z Minsi III. Its Grumman construction number is A-5634. John Sandberg recovered it from the Fergus Falls Airport in Minnesota in 1962. It was subsequently owned by Lloyd Nolan and Ed Messick.
Grumman TBM-3E Avenger NX7835C was registered by The Air Museum of Claremont, the predecessor to the Planes of Fame Museum, in 1958. Its Grumman construction number is 4169.
General Motors TBM-3E Avenger N4171A served the U.S. Navy as BuNo 91521 and its construction number is 4426. Reeder Flying Service of Twin Falls, Idaho registered it as N4171A in 1963 and flew it as tanker #D11. Louis Deterding of Havre, Montana bought it in 1977 and sold it to Donald J. von Siegel of Parkin, Arkansas in 1984. Corwin H. "Corky" Meyer of Ocala, Florida acquired it in 1988. Its fuselage was destroyed by fire during restoration in 1989, so the fuselage from BuNo 53489 was incorporated into its reconstruction. It made its first flight after rebuild on May 5, 1994, and it was sold to Stephen M. Hay of Lansing, Illinois later that year. Wawasee Airport Incorporated of Syracuse, Indiana bought it on April 28, 1998 and sold it to Northern Indiana Aviation Museum of Goshen, Indiana in 1999. It has been registerred to Freeberg Family LLP of Escondido, California since February 5, 2003.
General Motors TBM-3E Avenger N7226C flew for the US Navy as BuNo 85938. Sierra Aviation of Porterville, California registered it as N7226C in 1963. It flew as tanker #E44. Wen Incorporated of Portersville, California acquired it in 1963 and sold it to Whirly Birds Incorporated of Portersville in 1966. Capitol Aire Incorporated of Carson City, Nevada bought it in 1970 and sold it to Craig Aero Service of Buttonwillow, California in 1977. Stewart Aviation Incorporated of Moses Lake, Washington acquired it in 1984 and sold it to Danny Summers and Summers Farm and Ranch Incorporated of Sugar City, Iaho in May 1990. It made its first flight after restoration in 1996.
Grumman F7F-3P Tigercat NX909TC was delivered to the US Navy as BuNo 80425 in 1945. Clay Lacy flew it at the airshow. Calvin J. Butler and Butler Farm Air Service of Redmond, Oregon registered it as N7235C in 1963. It flew as tanker F17 and later as 17. TBM Incorporated of Tulare, California flew it as tanker E64 from 1969 to 1979. Military Aircraft Restoration Corporation of Chino, California acquired it in 1982. It was loaned to the Combat Air Museum of Topeka, Kansas from 1992 to 1996. The Fighter Collection at Duxford, UK registered it as G-RUMT in June 1996. It was rebuilt by Steve Hinton and Fighter Rebuilders at Chino. It has been registered to Avstar International of Seattle, Washington since July 10, 2007.
Visit Clay Lacy Aviation's web site. Founded in 1968 by a living aviation legend, Clay Lacy Aviation is one of the world’s premier business aviation companies.
Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat NL9G flew for the US Navy as BuNo 90454. Its construction number is D.18. It was used as an instructional airframe as NAF Norman, Oklahoma in the 1950s. Ed Weiner of Los Angeles, California registered it as N6624C in 1959 and later changed the registration to N3551. Vernon D. Jarvis of Decatur, Illinois acquired it in 1963 and sold it to R. E. Schreder of Bryan, Ohio. Gunther W. Balz of Kalamazoo, Mishigan registered it as N9G in 1968. It flew as race #1 and then as race #7 Roto Finish Special. Preston Parish and the Kalamazoo Aviation History Museum in Michigan acquired it in 1978 and restored it in Royal Thai Air Force colors. It was damaged during a forced landing at Columbia, Missouri on May 26, 1995.
Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat NX30FG has been registered to Chino Warbirds since 1991. Its Grumman construction number is A-3196. Its Navy BuNo was 41930. It first appeared on the civil register as N6096C in 1963. Its registration changed to N103V in 1965. From 1972 to 1990 it was displayed at the Champlin Fighter Museum at Falcon Field near Mesa, Airzona.
General Motors FM-2 Wildcat N86572 has been operated by the Warhawk Air Museum of Boise, Idaho since August of 1997. It served the U. S. Navy as BuNo 86572. Its Grumman construction number is 5626. It entered the civil register as N35MK in 1954. Lyman Rice of Laconia, New Hampshire bought it in 1959 and sold it to Hamilton Aircraft Company of Tucson, Arizona in 1963. New London Airport in Pennsylvania acquired it in 1972 and reportedly sold it in 1984, when it was re-registered as N35M. It was struck off the civil register in April 1990.
North American P-51D Mustang NL5441V Spam Can has belonged to the Planes of Fame Air Museum since June 1957. It flew for the Army Air Force as 45-11582 and it still wears that number on its tail.
Bell YP-59A Airacomet 42-108777 carries construction number 27-10.
The General Electric I-A engines of Bell YP-59A Airacomet 42-108777 have been rebuilt and the airplane is expected to fly within a year.
Curtiss P-40N Warhawk NL85104 flew for the Army Air Corps as 42-105192. It was delivered to the Royal Canadian Air Force as 858. Fred Dyson bought it and 42-106396 at Boeing Field, Seattle, Washington on October 23, 1947. It was owned by W. Bridges in Jackson, Mississippi from 1952 to 1954. Louis Rice of Marysville, California bought it in 1954 and very quickly sold it to Richard Rowlette of Riverside, California. Walter Brockin, also of Riverside, acquired it in 1955 nd then sold it to W. Keith Larkin of Weather Modification Company in San Jose, California. It was damaged in a wheels up landing near Denver, Colorado in 1958. The Air Museum in Ontario restored it to static display condition in 1959. Restoration of the airframe was begun in 1977. It made its first flight after restoration in 1981, when it acquired its current registration. It is powered by an Allison V-1710 twelve-cylinder engine.
Grumman J2F-6 Duck NL5SF was built in 1939. It flew for the US Navy as BuNo 33594. It has been owned by Kermit Weeks, Cinema Air Collection of Chino, and the San Diego Aerospace Museum. It has been registered to Chino Warbirds Incorporated since June 21, 2000. It was displayed at the Planes of Fame Valle-Williams annex between 2004 and 2007.
Canadair CT-133 Silver Star NX377JP was registered to the Planes of Fame Museum on July 17, 2007. Its construction number is 21377.
Silver Wings Stearman B75N1 N450SR is piloted by Hartley Folstad and carries wing walker Margaret Stivers. It carries construction number 75-7016 and was built in 1942. It has been registered to Stearman Restorations Incorporated of Cottage Grove, Oregon since June 25, 1986.
Piper J3C-65 Cub N42869 was built in 1945. Its construction number is 15196. It has been registered to Thomas Hicks since March 12, 2009.
Piper J5A Cub N35786 was built in 1941. It is restored as an L-4. It has been registered to the American Airpower Heritage Flying Museum since 1991.
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 NX87CN has been registered to the Air Museum at Chino since February 1999. It was operated by the Chinese Air Force as 83277. Tom Friedkin first registered it in the U. S. in June 1991.
North American F-86F Sabre NX186AM has been registered to the Air Museum at Chino since March 1999. Its Air Force serial was 52-5012. Its North American construction number is 191-708. Tom Friedkin of Cinema Air Corporation registered it as N4TF in April 1990.
Douglas C-53D Skytrooper N45366 D-Day Doll carries construction number is 11757. It was delivered to the Army Air Corps as C-53D, 42-68830. It is in the collection of the Inland Empire Wing of the Commemorative Air Force at the Riverside, California Airport.
North American B-25J Mitchell Pacific Princess has been registered as N9856C since 1963. It is currently owned by Ted Itano of Monterey Park, California. It still carries its original Air Corps tail number 43-28204. While still in the service of the Air Force, it was redesignated TB-25N. Idaho Aircraft Incorporated of Boise operated it as a tanker in 1963. Dennis Smilanich of Boise owned it from 1963 to 1966. Filmways Incorporated acquired it for use in the movie Catch-22 and then sold it to Ted Itano in 1972.
Boeing C-17A Globemaster 3 05-5144 from March Air Force Base.
Ryan ST3KR, N48742 #269 was manufactured in 1941. Its construction number is 1298.
Line up of warbirds during the show.
Flying Displays , page 1: Grumman F8F Bearcat Formation Flight, Silver Wings Wing Walker, Rob Harrison's Zlin 50 LX, Grumman Iron Works, Steve Hinton F7F Aerobatics, and Pulse Jet Ground Demo
Flying Displays , page 2: Korean Air Flight, Pacific Air War, European Fly Bys, anf The Horsemen: 3-Ship F8F Bearcat Aerobatic Team
Flying Displays , page 3: Brian Sanders Sea Fury Aerobatics, Airpower Flight, USAF Heritage Flight, USAF C-17 Globemaster III Demo Flight, and Departures
Previous events at Chino.
You can buy a 2018 calendar featuring my photographs of Vintage Airplanes at Chino, California.
A dozen photos of vintage airplanes flying at the Planes of Fame Airshow at Chino on April 29, 2016. Aircraft pictured include:
Waco UPF-7 NC30140
Stearman VN2S-3 N66290
Ryan PT-22 (ST3KR) N48777 146 and N48742 269
Cessna 190 N9848A
Stearman 4E Junior Speedmail NC663K and Boeing P-26 Pea Shooter N3378G
Howard DGA-15P N5604V
Lockheed 12A N18906 Electra Junior
Boeing P-26 Pea Shooter N3378G
Naval Aircraft Factory N3N-3 N44848
Fairchild PT-19A N11CM
Travel Air D-4-D NC472N
Beech G18S N351WP
Put a copy of the Vintage Airplanes at Chino: 2018 Calendar in your Lulu.com shopping cart for $14.95.
Books and Videos about Warbirds from Amazon.com
Visit the Lockett Books Amazon Webstore for a selection of aviation and space related books and DVDs.
Send a message to Brian.